These Gingerbread Men Cookies are as cute as can be. Our recipe includes cinnamon, nutmeg and delicious molasses. If desired, decorate with raisins, currants or cinnamon red hot candies for eyes and buttons. Share a delicious treat with your friends and family this holiday season.
- 3 cups (750 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Ginger, Ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter softened
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Roll out dough to ¼ -inch (6 mm) thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut into gingerbread men shaped with 5-inch (12.5 cm) cookie cutter. Place 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are set and just begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate cooled cookies as desired. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•Substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour.
•Add a small amount of orange zest for a hint of citrus in cookies.
•Decorate gingerbread men cookies with icing, powdered sugar or sprinkles for extra holiday flair.
•Unbaked gingerbread cookie dough discs can be kept in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
•Dough can be frozen up to 2 weeks. Thaw overnight in refrigerator and prepare as directed.