This pumpkin pie has a tasty Asian twist. Flavored with a hint of Club House® Star Anise Extract, this recipe is inspired by the sweet and savoury flavours of traditional Chinese desserts. Start with a rich, homemade crust and finish with sweet, spiced cranberry topping ... This pumpkin pie has a tasty Asian twist. Flavored with a hint of Club House® Star Anise Extract, this recipe is inspired by the sweet and savoury flavours of traditional Chinese desserts. Start with a rich, homemade crust and finish with sweet, spiced cranberry topping for a special holiday dessert sure to impress your guests. Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Lorelei Simbulan (@thechefcapital_l)
Read More Read Less
Read More Read Less
1h 10 min
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- Sugar-Spiced Cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliters) granulated sugar , divided
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) water
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) vegetable shortening , chilled
- 6 tablespoons (90 milliliters) unsalted cold butter , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) ice cold water
- Pumpkin Pie
- 1 can (796 milliliters) pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs , divided
- 1 1/4 cups (310 milliliters) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) corn starch
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Ginger, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliters) Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliters) Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 milliliter) Ground Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 milliliter) Cloves, Ground
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Star Anise (Licorice Type) Extract
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) plus 1 tbsp (15ml) milk , divided
- 1 For the Spiced Cranberries, mix 1 cup (250ml) of the sugar and water in small saucepan. Cook on low heat until sugar has dissolved. Pour over cranberries in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain cranberries. Add Pumpkin Pie Spice and remaining 1/2 cup (125ml) sugar, stirring to mix well. Transfer to silicone mat or parchment-lined baking pan. Let stand 1 to 2 hours at room temperature until dry. Set aside.
- 2 For the Pie Crust, mix flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Add shortening and butter, cutting into flour with pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture, stirring with wooden spoon or spatula after each addition. Once the dough begins to form large clumps, do not add any more water. Form mixture into a ball.
- 3 Transfer pie dough to lightly floured surface. Cut ball in half and flatten into 2 discs. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- 4 For the Pumpkin Pie, mix pumpkin puree, 3 of the eggs, and brown sugar in a large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. Add corn starch, spices, salt, extract, cream and 1/4 cup (60ml) of the milk. Whisk thoroughly until well blended. Filling should be slightly thick.
- 5 Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Transfer one disc of pie crust to lightly floured surface. Roll into 12-inch (30-cm) circle, turning dough a quarter turn after every few rolls. Carefully transfer to 9-inch (23-cm) pie plate, pressing into bottom. Use small sharp knife to trim any dough that hangs over edge of pie plate. Crimp edges as desired. Beat remaining egg and 1 tablespoon (15ml) milk in small bowl. Brush onto edges of pie crust. Lay a sheet of parchment paper over pie crust; fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- 6 Bake crust 10 minutes. Carefully remove pie weights and parchment. (Use any leftover crust to create decorative shapes like leaves for top of pie.)
- 7 Pour filling into warm pie crust filling about 3/4 full. (Set aside any leftover filling and use to make mini pies with leftover dough.)
- 8 Bake pie 50 to 60 minutes, until center is almost set, checking after 25 minutes for over-browning. If edges brown too quickly, carefully cover crust with foil.
- 9 Transfer pie to wire rack. Allow to cool at least 3 hours. Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve. Decorate with Sugar-Spiced Cranberries and top with whipped cream, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon