These showstopping hasselback potatoes look gorgeous on a plate and are surprisingly easy to prep! Filled with savoury herbs and topped with a sprinkle of Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, they’re the perfect side dish to round out your favourite weeknight meal.
- 4 medium russet potatoes washed
- 6 tbsps (90 ml) extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Pepper, Coarse Black divided
- 1/3 cup (73 ml) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup (73 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Onion Powder
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Trim 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) from ends of potatoes. Slice potatoes crosswise at 1/4-inch (1/2cm) intervals, leaving bottom 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) of potato intact. (Need a foolproof method to achieve the Hasselback effect? Place a wooden spoon or pencil on either side of the potato to prevent your knife from cutting all the way through.)
- 2 Gently rinse potatoes, being careful not to break apart. Place potatoes, cut-side down, on a microwave-safe plate and microwave about 10 to 12 minutes until slightly softened, turning potatoes halfway through cooking.
- 3 Line large shallow baking pan with foil. Arrange potatoes, cut-side up, on baking sheet. Brush potatoes with 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) of the pepper. Bake 30 minutes or until skin is crispy and potatoes are lightly browned.
- 4 Meanwhile, mix remaining olive oil, remaining salt and pepper, panko, Parmesan, cheddar, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, and onion powder in small bowl.
- 5 Remove potatoes from oven. Top potatoes with panko-cheese mixture, carefully pressing some of the mixture into cuts. Broil about 1 minute or until cheese is golden brown.