Some of today’s most-loved foods rely heavily on French technique. Case in point? This sweet and savory version of the Croque Monsieur – a French sandwich trending on restaurant menus. Featuring a rich and creamy béchamel, tart apple filling, salty ham, an...
Some of today’s most-loved foods rely heavily on French technique. Case in point? This sweet and savory version of the Croque Monsieur – a French sandwich trending on restaurant menus. Featuring a rich and creamy béchamel, tart apple filling, salty ham, and melty Gruyere cheese, all sandwiched between two toasty slices of bread, this sandwich will change the brunch game forever.
This recipe is featured in the Everyday French of the Flavour Forecast 23rd Edition. Explore more Flavour Forecast recipes here.Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 6 (1 Sandwich) SERVINGS
- 5 tablespoons (75 milliliters) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliters) cold milk
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 milliliter) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 milliliter) Ground Nutmeg
- Apple Filling
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) butter
Granny Smith apples
, peeled and thinly sliced
- or other tart apple
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Ground Cinnamon
- Croque Monsieur
- 12 slices hearty bread
- 3/4 pound (340 grams) sliced ham
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 For the Béchamel, melt butter on low heat in medium saucepan. Add flour; cook and stir on low heat 5 minutes, without browning. Whisk in cold milk; bring to boil, stirring to remove any lumps. Stir in Gruyere, Parmesan, salt and nutmeg just until cheese is melted. Remove from heat immediately.
- 2 For the Apple Filling, melt butter on medium heat in large skillet. Add apple slices and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, until apple is lightly browned and caramelized, turning halfway through. Remove from heat.
- 3 To assemble Croque Monsieur, heat broiler on LOW. Place oven rack 6-inches from heating element. Arrange bread in single layer on large baking sheet. Broil 1 minute per side or just until lightly toasted.
- 4 Spread a thin layer of Béchamel on each slice of bread, about 1 tablespoon (15 ml) per slice. Layer 6 slices of the bread evenly with ham, Gruyere and caramelized apples. Top with remaining bread slices, Béchamel side up. Divide remaining Gruyere evenly over top of each sandwich. Sprinkle with additional black pepper. Broil on HIGH just until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon