Mushrooms and carrots are the perfect stand-in for taco meat in this tempting tinga with smoky tomato-chipotle sauce. For an authentic Mexican presentation, serve in corn tortillas or tostadas with lime, diced tomato, refried beans, and vegan cheese or vegan sour cream.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Oregano Leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) sea salt from Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Pepper, Coarse Black
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Paprika
- 3 cups (750 milliliters) onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) grated carrots
- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) oyster mushrooms, cut into thin strips
- 4 large Roma tomatoes , coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Crushed Chipotle Pepper
- 1 Mix garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in small bowl; set aside.
- 2 Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add tomato paste and paprika; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Stir in spice mixture and sliced mushrooms; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3 Meanwhile, place tomatoes and chipotle pepper in blender container; cover. Blend on high until smooth.
- 4 Add tomato mixture to the pan with mushroom mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until liquid has been reduced to about one-fourth its original volume and mixture has the consistency of pulled chicken.
- 5 Serve with any of the following: corn tortillas or tostadas, fresh lime wedges, diced tomatoes, refried beans, shredded lettuce, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, cilantro, fresh salsa and/or fresh chilies.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•Make sure to cut the mushrooms and onions into thin strips to mimic pulled or shredded meat.
•The purpose of cooking down the veggie mixture until it has reduced to one-fourth its original volume is to concentrate the flavour and give it the look and feel of shredded meat.