From the spicy heat standpoint of Sambol, a Sri Lankan spiced-caramelized onion relish, these turnovers have a lot to offer. Here the Seeni Sambol helps brighten up this savoury turnover with spices like crushed red pepper and ground cardamom, offering an exciting glimpse in...
From the spicy heat standpoint of Sambol, a Sri Lankan spiced-caramelized onion relish, these turnovers have a lot to offer. Here the Seeni Sambol helps brighten up this savoury turnover with spices like crushed red pepper and ground cardamom, offering an exciting glimpse into flavour innovation from a global standpoint. It also makes for an extremely convenient grab-and-go lunch or elaborate snack!
This recipe is featured in the Beyond Heat Trend of the Flavour Forecast 23rd Edition. Explore more Flavour Forecast recipes here.Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- Seeni Sambol
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion , peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) tamarind party
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) sugar
- 5 dried curry leaves , finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) CLUB HOUSE CRUSHED RED PEPPER
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 miligram) Cardamom Ground
- 1/8 teaspoon (.5 miligram) Cloves, Ground
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) salt
- Savory Beef Turnovers
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Onion Powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons (8 mill) salt , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound (250 grams) oyster mushrooms , cut into strips
- 3 cloves fresh garlic , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mill) finely chopped green onion
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry , thawed (from 450 grams package)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) water
- 1 For the Seeni Sambol, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add remaining ingredients, stirring to mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Cook 15 to 20 minutes until onions are tender and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon stick. Set chutney aside.
- 2 Meanwhile, for the Turnovers, mix ground beef, onion powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) of the salt and pepper in medium bowl. Set aside. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and garlic is lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- 3 Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place thawed puff pastry sheets on lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 4 squares. Arrange squares on large parchment-lined baking pan. Divide Seeni Sambol mixture evenly among pastry squares. Top with beef mixture, then layer with mushrooms. Fold in 2 opposite corners of pastry to enclose filling, pinching to seal in center. Mix egg and water in small dish, brush pastry with egg wash.
- 4 Bake 20 minutes until pastry is lightly browned and crisp, and beef is cooked through. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon