Tres leches or “3 milks” is a refreshing, cold cake enjoyed in Mexico often topped with whipped cream and fruit.
INGREDIENTS 16 SERVINGS
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliter) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups (300 milliliter) granulated sugar
- 1 can (400 milliliters) Coconut Milk , divided
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 can (300 milliliters) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Imitation Rum Extract , Optional
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; line bottom with parchment paper.
- 2 Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.
- 3 Beat yolks with ¾ cup (175 mL) of the sugar with hand mixer in large bowl on medium speed until pale and creamy, 2 minutes. Beat in ½ cup (125 mL) coconut milk and vanilla.
- 4 With clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites in a clean bowl on medium-high until soft peaks form. Slowly stream in remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar, 1 spoonful at a time until firm glossy peaks form. Gently fold one-third of the egg whites into yolk mixture, alternating with dry ingredients until no streaks remain.
- 5 Pour into prepared dish and bake until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, loosen sides with knife and invert onto rack. Remove parchment and invert again to cool.
- 6 Return cake to baking dish. Prick all over with skewer.
- 7 Soaking liquid: Heat condensed milk, remaining coconut milk, cream and rum extract (if using) in pan over medium heat, stirring until hot. Slowly pour over cake, allowing time to soak. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, 1-2 hours.
Test Kitchen Tips:
o Transfer hot soaking liquid to measuring cup with spout to evenly pour over cake.
o Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut to amp up the coconut flavour.