Taco night goes vegan! When blended with Club House® Taco Seasoning Mix, crumbled chickpeas take on the look and taste of browned chorizo sausage. Spoon mixture into warm tortillas and enjoy with your favourite vegan taco toppings.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces/540 ml each) chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) soy suace
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) oil , divided
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) finely chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) finely chopped white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) water
- 8 vegan tortillas
- 1 Mix chickpeas, tomatoes, cider vinegar, soy sauce and Taco Seasoning in large bowl. Transfer mixture to bowl of food processor. Pulse about 5 or 6 times until well mixed and only a few coarse chunks of chickpeas remain.
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add remaining oil and increase heat to medium-high. Stir in chickpea mixture and water. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture resembles cooked chorizo, stirring only when the mixture on the bottom begins to brown, tossing to incorporate the browned part back into the mixture.
- 3 3. Spoon vegan chorizo mixture into warmed tortillas. Serve with assorted toppings, such as shredded vegan cheese, sliced avocado, shredded cabbage and a squeeze of lime juice, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•Don’t have a food processor? Mash chickpeas and tomatoes into coarse chunks with a potato masher or fork. Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, spices and salt, and continue as directed.
•When cooking the chickpea mixture, try to “brown” the mixture well, similar to browning beef or crumbled sausage. This will add a deeper flavour and a bit of a crispy texture to the mixture.