Charring tomatoes on the grill brings a rich, complex flavour twist to this umami-packed charred tomato ketchup.
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- 10 medium plum tomatoes , halved
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil , divided
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliters) Garlic Powder , divided
- 2 small yellow onions , peeled and quartered
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) chopped celery
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) tomato puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Ground Allspice
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Paprika Smoked
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Thyme Leaves
- 1 Brush tomatoes with 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon (5ml) of the garlic powder.
- 2 Grill tomatoes and onions, cut side down over high heat, turning occasionally and grilling until lightly charred on all sides. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop onions. Set aside.
- 3 Heat remaining 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil in large saucepan on medium-low heat. Add charred onion and celery; cook about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in charred tomato, remaining garlic powder and remaining ingredients until well blended. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low and cook 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool.
- 4 Transfer charred tomato mixture to blender container, working in batches if needed. Cover. Blend until smooth. Serve with Carrot Hot Dogs.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon