In this recipe by Chef Barbara Hom, beef chuck roast is made tender by cooking it in coconut milk for an hour, before adding vibrant flavours from curry paste, tamarind, cinnamon, and cardamom.
1h 30 min
- 2 pounds (1 kg) beef chuck roast, cut in 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 2 cans (400 ml) Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) peanut oil
Green Curry Paste
- Red Curry Paste (thai kitch)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamarind paste mixed with 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Cardamom Ground
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) peas
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 Bring beef and coconut milk to boil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add curry paste; stir fry 5 minutes. Add beef mixture, potatoes, onion, tamarind water, fish sauce, brown sugar and spices. Cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in peas and peanuts; simmer 2 minutes longer.