A simplified version of the classic Spanish dish, it gets its rich color from turmeric, instead of saffron. Choose smoked sausage for a mild smoky flavor or chorizo to build more spice heat.
INGREDIENTS 6 SERVINGS
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) chopped onion
- 1/2 pound (250 gram) smoked sausage or chorizo, cut lengthwise in half, then into ¼-inch (6 mm) slices
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Organic Ground Turmeric
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups (425 milliliter) canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound (500 gram) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) frozen peas
- Ground Black Pepper , To taste
- 1 Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook and stir 3 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add rice, Italian seasoning and turmeric; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- 2 Stir in broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Place shrimp in single layer on top of the rice; top with peas. Cover.
- 3 Cook on medium-low heat 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender and shrimp turn pink. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
- 4 Substitution tip: try using ¼ tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Saffron, crumbled, in place of the turmeric