Bell peppers stuffed with taco-seasoned ground beef and rice are easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner. In this no-fuss recipe, precooking the bell peppers is not necessary.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
medium to large
green bell peppers
- red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 pounds (750 gram) lean ground beef
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) cooked rice
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) salsa , divided
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (398 milliliters) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut off tops of bell peppers. Remove seeds and membranes. Rinse bell peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand upright. Set aside.
- 2 Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat. Add rice, 1/2 cup (125ml) of the salsa and Seasoning Mix; mix until well blended.
- 3 Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Place stuffed peppers upright in 9-inch (23-cm) square baking dish. Mix tomato sauce and remaining salsa. Pour over stuffed peppers. Cover tightly with foil.
- 4 Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender. Remove foil. Sprinkle stuffed peppers with cheese and tortilla chips. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut stuffed peppers in half. Spoon sauce in dish over each half to serve.