Flavoured with soy, honey and a white miso glaze, hearty king oyster (also known as trumpet) mushrooms are strikingly similar to scallops in taste, texture and appearance in this savoury noodle bowl.
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- Pickled Ginger Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) pickled ginger
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) chopped fresh garlic , (about 3 small cloves)
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) mirin
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) French’s Honey Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) vegetable oil
- “Scallops” and Soba Salad
- 3 cups (750 milliliters) hot cooked soba noodles , (about 1/2 (7oz) package)
- 1 1/3 cups (325 milliliters) thinly sliced yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) thinly sliced green onions
- 4 king trumpet mushrooms (king oyster mushrooms) , trimmed
- 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) vegetable oil , divided
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) honey
- 8 teaspoons (40 milliliters) white miso paste
- 24 bok choy leaves , blanched
- 1 For the Vinaigrette, place all ingredients except oil in blender container. Cover. Blend on high speed until smooth. Slowly add oil, with machine running, until well blended and completely smooth.
- 2 For the Soba Salad, toss cooked soba noodles, bell pepper, green onion and half of the Vinaigrette in large bowl. Set aside until ready to serve. Reserve remaining Vinaigrette.
- 3 To make the “Scallops”, remove mushroom caps and cut into thin strips (to resemble short noodles). Set aside. Cut each mushroom stem crosswise into 3 pieces, about 1-inch (2 1/2-c)m thick. With the tip of a sharp knife, score cut-sides of each piece in a criss-cross pattern, cutting less than 1/4 of the way through.
- 4 Heat 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the oil in large skillet on medium-high heat until shimmering. Add 6 of the mushroom stem “scallops”, placing cut-side down in skillet. Add sliced caps to pan. Sear “scallops” about 3 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove “scallops” from pan; set aside. Add sliced caps to cooked soba noodles, tossing to mix. Repeat with remaining oil and “scallops”.
- 5 Add soy sauce, honey and miso paste to skillet, stirring to mix well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cook until thickened to glaze consistency. Return "scallops" to pan and turn to coat in glaze.
- 6 To serve, divide soba noodle mixture among 4 serving bowls. Arrange bok choy alongside noodles in each bowl. Place “Scallops” on top. Drizzle with any remaining glaze. Serve immediately with remaining Vinaigrette, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon