Serve this filling stew on a chilly winter evening. Photo credit: Sandy Coughlin from Reluctant Entertainer.
1h 10 min
INGREDIENTS 6 SERVINGS
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 1 pound (500 grams) boneless beef chuck , trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 medium onion , chopped (250 ml)
- 1 can (248 milliliters) beef broth
- 1 can (398 milliliters) diced tomatoes , undrained
- 8 ounces (227 grams) sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots , sliced (1 cup/250 ml)
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Organic Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons (20 milliliters) cold water
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) instant rice
- 1 Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the meat. Brown on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining meat and the onion.
- 2 Return all meat to saucepan. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, 1/2 cup (125 ml) water, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- 3 Mix cornstarch and 4 teaspoons (20 ml) cold water in small bowl. Add to saucepan along with rice. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 4 minutes or until slightly thick and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.