The classic combination of ham and Swiss work well in macaroni and cheese. Swiss cheese adds a mildly nutty flavour to the cheese sauce and the ham makes for a heartier dish.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 8 ounce (250 gram) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoon (45 milliliter) butter
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) Ground Mustard
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Ground Sage
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Black Peppercorn Grinder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) 2% milk
- 3 cups (750 milliliter) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) cubed cooked ham
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) plain bread crumbs
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain; set aside.
- 2 Meanwhile, in same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in all seasonings. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- 3 Add macaroni and ham; toss gently to coat. Pour into greased 8-cup (2 L) baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.