High-end flavor packaged in a burger inspired by French Onion Soup? Yes, please! From the ultra-moist patty, (thanks to a mix-in of French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard), to the savoury cooked-down onion topping, and melty Gruyere cheese, the flavour profile on this ho...
High-end flavor packaged in a burger inspired by French Onion Soup? Yes, please! From the ultra-moist patty, (thanks to a mix-in of French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard), to the savoury cooked-down onion topping, and melty Gruyere cheese, the flavour profile on this homemade burger is as comforting as it gets.
This recipe is featured in the Everyday French Trend of the Flavour Forecast 23rd Edition. Explore more Flavour Forecast recipes here.Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 4 (1 Burger) SERVINGS
- French Onions
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) flour
- 1 tablespoon (5 milliliters) Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon (2 milliliters) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 tablespoon (1 milliliters) Pepper, Coarse Black
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) light brown sugar
- 2 large yellow onions , peeled and cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) thick slices (do not seperate into rings)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) beef stock , plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) French’s Classic Yellow Mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) French's® Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Thyme Leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) salt
- 4 brioche rolls , split
- 1 For the Onions, mix flour, thyme, salt, pepper and brown sugar in shallow dish. Coat onion slices in flour mixture, being careful to keep slices intact. (Do not separate into rings).
- 2 Heat oil and butter in heavy-bottom skillet on medium heat until sizzling. Add onion slices. Cook 6 to 8 minutes per side until well browned. Drain excess oil from skillet. Reduce heat to low; add stock. Cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until onions are very tender, adding additional stock as need to prevent over browning. Sprinkle top of onion slices evenly with cheese. Cover. Cook just until cheese is melted. Remove cover. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- 3 For the burgers, mix all ingredients (except rolls) in medium bowl, just until blended. Shape into 4 patties.
- 4 Grill over medium-high heat until desired doneness. Meanwhile, toast rolls on grill alongside burgers. Serve burgers on toasted rolls, topped with cheesy onion and additional Gruyere, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon