These fluffy buttermilk pancakes are made extra-rich and decadent with the addition of chocolate chips.
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup (425 ml) buttermilk
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) coconut oil or vegetable oil (plus more for brushing pan)
- 2 tsps (10 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps (30 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chocolate chips
- 1 In large bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk into egg mixture just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 2 Heat large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat; brush with a bit more oil. For each pancake, pour ¼ cup (60 mL) batter onto skillet. Cook until edges are set and bubbles appear on top, about 3 minutes. Turn; cook until golden brown and set in centre, 1 or 2 minutes more.
- 3 Repeat with remaining batter, wiping pan and adding more oil with each batch.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Top with fresh berries or sliced banana and whipped cream, if desired.
• Place pancakes in single layer on wire rack-lined baking sheet and keep warm in preheated 200°F (100°C) oven.