Hailing from Malaysia, the coconutty, eggy flavour of this green jam seasoned with warm spices and a hint of black pepper is a one-way ticket to more indulgent-tasting toast, desserts and more.
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (160 milliliter) sugar
- 4 teaspoons (20 milliliters) corn starch
- 2 cinnamon sticks , broken in half
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Peppercorns Black
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) McCormick® Pandan Flavor
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliters) Star Anise (Licorice Type) Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1. Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar and corn starch in medium heat-safe bowl until smooth and slightly thickened. Set aside.
- 2 2. Place cinnamon sticks and black peppercorns in medium heavy bottom saucepan. Toast on medium-low heat 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in coconut milk, pandan flavor, vanilla and anise extract, and salt. Bring to gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to steep for 10 minutes. Strain mixture through fine mesh sieve. Discard cinnamon sticks and peppercorns.
- 3 3. Whisking constantly, gradually add hot coconut milk mixture to the egg mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until well blended and smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 to 5 minutes. (The mixture will begin to thicken quickly once the temperature reaches about 175°F to 180°F.) Remove from heat. Immediately transfer jam mixture to medium bowl; whisk continuously 10 seconds. Cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic directly onto surface of jam. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Test Kitchen Tips:
•If pandan extract is not available, puree 1/2 cup (125ml) fresh or frozen pandan leaves in blender container with 1 cup (250ml) water until smooth. (Add additional water, if needed to blend.) Strain to remove any lumps or solids. Use 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the pureed mixture in place of 1 teaspoon (5ml) pandan flavoring. Store remaining pandan puree in airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.
•If the Kaya Jam mixture is not as smooth as you'd like it, transfer cooled mixture to blender container. Cover and pulse until smooth.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon.