Everything you thought about what it means to be sweet is off the table in this savoury twist on the ice cream sandwich. Smoky notes in the black pepper ice cream are perfectly balanced by the warm sweetness of Club House® Pure Vanilla Extract and an unexpected layer of ... Everything you thought about what it means to be sweet is off the table in this savoury twist on the ice cream sandwich. Smoky notes in the black pepper ice cream are perfectly balanced by the warm sweetness of Club House® Pure Vanilla Extract and an unexpected layer of liquid smoke flavour. Nestled in between two halves of a rosemary pepper scone, this dessert is anything but ordinary. Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- Smoky Black Pepper Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups (625 milliliters) heavy cream , divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) corn starch
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) honey
- 3/4 teaspoons (4 milliliter) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Black Peppercorn Grinder , coarsely ground
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 milliliters) hickory liquid smoke
- Rosemary Cracked Pepper Scones
- 2 1/2 cups (625 milliliters) cake flour , sifted
- 1 1/3 cups (300 milliliters) all-purpose flour , sifted
- 8 tablespoons (120 milliliters) sugar , divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons (17 milliliters) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) baking soda
- 2 3/4 teaspoons (14 milliliters) salt , divided
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Black Peppercorn Grinder , coarsely ground
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Rosemary Leaves , crushed
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) cold unsalted butter , cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) plus 2 tablespoons (30 ml) heavy cream , divided
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) sour cream
- 1 For the Ice Cream, whisk 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the cream and corn starch in small bowl until well blended and smooth; set aside. Mix remaining 2 cups (500 ml) cream, sweetened condensed milk, honey and salt in medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Cook just until mixture begins to steam, about 6 to 8 minutes. Whisk corn starch mixture and slowly add to saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Strain mixture through fine mesh sieve. Cool completely.
- 2 Add vanilla, black pepper and liquid smoke, stirring until well blended. Transfer to ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Store in airtight container in freezer until ready to serve.
- 3 For the Scones, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large shallow baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. Mix 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) of the salt in small bowl; set aside. Place cake flour, all-purpose flour, remaining 6 tablespoons (90 ml) sugar, baking powder, baking soda and remaining 2 1/4 teaspoons (11 ml) salt in food processor. Pulse to mix. Add butter, pepper and rosemary. Pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the heavy cream and sour cream; pulse just until blended.
- 4 Transfer dough to clean work surface. Shape into rectangle, rolling and stretching dough to 1-inch (2.5-cm) thickness. Cut into 12 rounds using a 3-inch (7.5-cm) cutter (re-roll and cut scraps as needed). Transfer rounds to prepared pan. Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cream. Sprinkle evenly with sugar and salt mixture.
- 5 Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. To serve, split scones crosswise. Scoop Smoky Black Pepper Ice Cream and Sandwich between top and bottom of scones.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon