This cake is flavored with a Middle Eastern spice blend, Shawarma, which contains warm, aromatic spices like allspice, coriander, cinnamon and ginger. Top this moist date cake with a spiced caramel sauce and vanilla whipped cream.
INGREDIENTS 24 SERVINGS
- Spiced Date Cake
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) pitted dried dates
- 2 1/2 cups (625 milliliters) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Shawarma Spice Blend (See tip below for recipe)
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) butter , softened
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) plain yogurt
- Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) butter , cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Shawarma Spice Blend (See tip below for recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). For the Cake, place dates and water to cover in small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Drain dates. Place in food processor; cover. Process until just smooth. Set aside.
- 2 Mix flour, Shawarma Spice Blend, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in yogurt and date mixture until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Pour batter into greased 13x9-inch (33x23-cm) baking pan.
- 3 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- 4 For the Caramel Sauce, cook granulated sugar in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, without stirring and swirling pan occasionally. Add butter; stir until melted. Add cream; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Shawarma Spice Blend and vanilla.
- 5 For the Vanilla Whipped Cream, beat all ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Serve cake with Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Whipped Cream.
- 6 Shawarma Spice Blend: Mix 2 tablespoons Club House® Organic Ground Coriander, 1 teaspoon each Club House® Ground Allspice, Ground Cinnamon and Ground Cumin, 1/2 teaspoon each Club House® Ground Ginger and Ground Turmeric, and 1/4 teaspoon Club House® Ground Black Pepper in small bowl until well blended. Store any remaining Spice Blend in tightly covered jar in cool, dry place.
Go To Meal Planner