For the fans of the popular vampire books, these cupcakes will be irresistible. While not blood red, these cupcakes have a reddish hue from the red velvet cake mix.
INGREDIENTS 24 SERVINGS
- 1 package (2-layer size) red velvet cake mix
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 container (450 grams) cream cheese icing or vanilla icing
- Black food colour
- Black jelly beans , for eyes
- Red gummy candies , for fangs
- 1 Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla to batter.
- 2 Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- 3 Divide icing in half. Use half of the icing to spread a thin layer on cupcakes. Tint remaining icing black with ½ tsp (2 mL) black food colour. Spoon icing into small resealable plastic bag. Snip a small corner from bag. Pipe icing in the shape of a widow’s peak for the vampire’s head. Pipe a line of icing for the mouth. Use jelly beans for the eyes and gummy candies, cut into triangles, for the fangs.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• For easier measurement, ¼ tsp (1 mL) food colour = 20 to 25 drops.