Baked with brown sugar, butter and Apple Pie Spice until tender and fragrant, these mini-sized sweet and sticky breads are sure to be a favourite, whether for dessert or at brunch.
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- Apple Filling:
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) salted butter
- 1 large Granny Smith apple , peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Apple Pie Spice
- Monkey Bread:
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) Apple Pie Spice
- 1 can (340 grams) prepared country style biscuits (10 biscuits)
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) salted butter , melted
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) milk , approx
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place 10 cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- 2 Apple filling: In small skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; add apples and apple pie spice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
- 3 Monkey bread: In medium bowl, combine brown sugar and apple pie spice; set aside.
- 4 Cut each biscuit into 6 equal pieces. Place melted butter in small bowl; dip each piece biscuit into melted butter then roll in brown sugar and spice mixture to coat. Place 3 pieces biscuit in each cupcake liner; top with 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple filling, then 3 more pieces biscuit. Repeat with remaining biscuits and apple filling to make 10 monkey breads.
- 5 Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in centre. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes.
- 6 Icing: Meanwhile, in bowl, combine icing sugar and vanilla with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the milk until smooth, adding more milk, 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) at a time and up to 1 tbsp (15 mL) more, if needed, to make a thin glaze. Drizzle all over cooled monkey breads.