Perfect for a birthday or romantic dinner, a deeply decadent cake lavishly spread with an easy-to-make vanilla buttercream icing.
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- 3 cup (750 milliliter) all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup (425 milliliter) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliter) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliter) cold coffee
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Imitation French Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon (45 milliliter) cider vinegar
- Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) butter, softened
- 3 tablespoon (45 milliliter) milk, approx
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 milliliter) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/2 cups (825 milliliter) icing sugar
- 6 - 8 drops Red Food Colouring
- Chocolate decors , optional
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 2 In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk in coffee, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Whisk in vinegar.
- 3 Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake until cake tester or pick inserted in centre comes out clean, 28 to 32 minutes.
- 4 Let cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert onto racks, remove pans and paper; let cool completely.
- 5 Vanilla Buttercream Icing: In large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, slowly mix butter, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the milk and the vanilla with icing sugar until blended and smooth. If icing seems too thick, add more milk, a teaspoonful at a time, until spreadable. Beat in food colour until evenly pink throughout.
- 6 Cut both cakes in half horizontally to make four layers. Place one layer on plate; spread top with some of the icing. Top with second and third layers; spreading with more icing between each. Top with fourth and final layer; top with more icing, spreading to edge. Sprinkle with chocolate decors.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• This cake contains no dairy or eggs. To also make the icing vegan, replace butter with margarine or another non-dairy spread and swap in almond milk or similar for milk.
• Red Food Colour can be switched out for another favourite Club House Food Colour. Beat in a couple of drops at a time until the perfect tint is achieved.
Go To Meal Planner