Perfect your pie crust game with a simple ingredient upgrade – Club House® Pure Vanilla Extract. It adds warm, vanilla flavour to pie pastry that will complement everything from apple to pumpkin and pecan pie. Happy baking!
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) (170 g) cold unsalted butter , cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons (30 to 60 mll) ice water
- 1 Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles pea-size crumbs. Add vanilla extract and ice water, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time, tossing dough with fork after each addition. Add just enough water so that dough comes together. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2 Roll dough on lightly floured surface from center to edges into a 14-inch (35-cm) circle, about 1/8-inch (3-mm) thick. For easier rolling without additional flour, place dough between 2 sheets of wax paper before rolling.
- 3 Carefully place pie crust on rolling pin and transfer to 9-inch (23-cm) deep dish pie pan. If using wax paper, carefully peel back 1 sheet of wax paper. Flip crust onto pie pan. Carefully peel off remaining wax paper. Gently press the pie crust onto bottom and up sides of pan. Trim pie crust so that it extends 1/2-inch (1-cm) beyond edge of pie pan. (Reserve any remaining dough to make pie crust decorations, if desired.) Fold under excess pie crust. Flute the edges of the pie crust or press with tines of a fork. Try with our Signature Pumpkin Pie.
- 4 Test Kitchen Tip: To blind bake (pre-bake an empty crust) to use for a custard pie or an unbaked filling, cover crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dry beans (about 1 1/2 pounds/750g). The weights will hold parchment in place and keep the crust from puffing up or the sides from falling in while baking. Bake crust in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven 25 minutes. Remove weights and parchment; bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.