Learn how to make heart-shaped sugar cookies and how to paint desserts with this painted sugar cookie recipe! Customize each cookie to your liking and use white frosting and food colouring to create "flavour paints."
INGREDIENTS 36 SERVINGS
- 2 3/4 cups (675 milliliters) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (250 ml) butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliters) sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 container (450 grams) white frosting
- 1 Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed.
- 2 Roll out dough on generously floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out hearts with 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutters. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- 4 Spoon frosting into medium microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 20 to 30 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds. (Frosting should be a pourable consistency.) Dip tops of cookies into frosting. Place frosted cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet. (The baking sheet will catch drips.) Let stand 10 minutes or until frosting is dried.
- 5 Prepare 3 colours of Flavour Paints (see below). Paint stripes of red then medium pink then light pink on each cookie, cleaning paint brush in between colours. Let stand until paint is dried.
Red: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract and 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) Club House Red Food Colour
Medium Pink: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract and 10 drops Club House Red Food Colour
Light Pink: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract and 4 drops Club House Red Food Colour
For Ombre Design: Paint stripes of red, then medium pink, then light pink on each cookie, cleaning brush in between colours.