This free-form apple dessert (often referred to as a rustic tart) is super easy because it starts with a refrigerated pie crust. Boost flavour even further by adding dried cranberries or dried cherries to the fruit mixture.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 1 refrigerated pie crust , (from 400g package)
- 1 egg white , lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) plus 1 tsp (5ml) sugar , divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Ground Cinnamon Substitution Available
- 4 medium tart apples , such as Granny Smith or Braeburn, thinly sliced (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Unroll crust. Place on foil-lined 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pan. If necessary, press out any folds or creases. Brush crust with about 1/2 of the beaten egg white.
- 2 Mix 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in medium bowl. Toss with apples. Spoon into center of crust, spreading to within 2-inches (5 cm) of edges. Fold 2-inch (5 cm) edge of crust up over apples, pleating or folding crust as needed. Brush crust with remaining egg white; sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar.
- 3 Bake 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool slightly before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Try adding 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins, dried cranberries or dried cherries to the apple mixture.
• Prepare as directed, using 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) Club House Pumpkin Pie Spice or 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Apple Pie Spice in place of the cinnamon.