Baked with just the right hint of Southwestern-inspired spices, these brownies are so rich and dense it’s hard to believe they’re vegan! Ground chia or flax seed steeped in water works wonders as an egg replacer and lends a neutral-flavoured nutritional boost.
INGREDIENTS 24 SERVINGS
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) ground chia seed or flax seed
- 6 ounce (170 gram) dairy-free bittersweet or dark chocolate, finely chopped and divided
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliter) coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliter) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliter) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Cocoa Chili Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Cinnamon Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) chopped walnuts
- 1 Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- 2 In small bowl, stir together chia seeds and 6 tbsp (90 mL) hot water; let stand 10 minutes.
- 3 In large heatproof bowl over saucepan of simmering water (or in microwave-safe bowl in microwave), melt half of the chocolate with coconut oil, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar, vanilla and chia seed mixture.
- 4 In separate bowl, whisk flour, Cocoa Chili Blend, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into wet mixture until just combined. Stir in the walnuts and remaining chocolate.
- 5 Spread evenly in parchment paper or foil-lined 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan. Bake until firm to the touch, about 22 to 26 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a rack before removing from pan and cutting into squares.
- 6 Test Kitchen Tip: Walnuts can be omitted or replaced with pecans, if preferred.