Smoky ancho chili and black pepper enhance this rich chocolate and tart cherry skillet cake that cooks on the grill.
INGREDIENTS 16 SERVINGS
- 2 cans cherry pie filling (540 mL each)
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) slivered almonds, divided
- 1 package (2-layer size) devil’s food cake mix
- 1 container (500 milliliter) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 teaspoon (20 milliliter) Chili Pepper Ancho
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) Organic Black Pepper Coarse Grind
- 1 Spray 12-in (30 cm) cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Pour cherry pie filling into skillet. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the almonds. Set aside.
- 2 Stir cake mix, sour cream, vanilla, chili pepper and black pepper in large bowl until well blended. Spread over pie filling. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) almonds.
- 3 Place cast iron skillet on preheated grill over medium-high indirect heat (375° to 400°F/190° to 200°C). Grill with lid closed 40 to 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
Test Kitchen Tip:
o To bake in oven, prepare batter in cast iron skillet as directed. Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven 40 to 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.