Now you can make this tasty restaurant specialty at home. Serve as a main dish or appetizer with Sweet Red Chili Sauce for dipping.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) Japanese Style Batter Mix Tempura
- 1 can (400 milliliter) Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliter) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Curry Powder
- 4 cups (1 liter) flaked coconut, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds (750 gram) large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) Sweet Red Chili Sauce
- 1 Pour oil into deep fryer, large heavy skillet or saucepan, filling no more than 1/3 full. Heat on medium heat to 375°f (190°c).
- 2 Stir batter mix, coconut milk, sugar and curry powder in medium bowl until mixed. (batter will be slightly lumpy.) Place 1/2 of the coconut on large plate. Dip shrimp, a few at a time, into batter. Shake off excess. Roll in coconut. Carefully add shrimp, several pieces at a time, to hot oil.
- 3 Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining shrimp and batter. Add remaining coconut as needed. Serve shrimp with chili sauce.