This plant-based spin on mac and cheese is so rich and creamy you may even prefer it to more traditional versions. Make it vegan and gluten-free by using both gluten-free pasta and bread crumbs.
INGREDIENTS 8 SERVINGS
- 1 pound (500 gram) butternut squash (about half a large squash), peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) plain unsweetened non-dairy milk (such as almond, soy or coconut)
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 milliliter) Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) Ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) Ground Black Pepper
- 1 package (375 gram) elbow macaroni, penne or other similar-sized pasta shape
- 1 package (227 gram) shredded vegan “cheese” (about 2 ½ cups/625 mL)
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 milliliter) basil herb grinder (club house)
- 1 In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook squash until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to pan; mash with potato masher. Stir in non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; heat over medium heat just until simmering, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, follow package directions to cook pasta until al dente. Drain and stir into squash mixture along with all but ½ cup (125 mL) of the “cheese” until well combined. Scrape mixture into greased 10-cup (2.5 L) oval or rectangular casserole dish.
- 3 In small bowl, combine panko, remaining “cheese”, oil and basil; sprinkle evenly on top of casserole. Bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until bubbly and golden, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip:
o Available in flakes or powder form, nutritional yeast can be found in natural food stores and some supermarkets. A favourite in meatless recipes, it adds savoury, cheese-like flavour while also being a source of protein and minerals. Most brands are vegan but check the label to be sure.
Go To Meal Planner