A happy marriage of French and Vietnamese flavors and cuisine, this recipe applies the French technique of confit to the popular Vietnamese sandwich, Bánh Mì. The result is an umami-loaded, melt-in-your-mouth mushroom confit sandwich filling, that when paired w...
A happy marriage of French and Vietnamese flavors and cuisine, this recipe applies the French technique of confit to the popular Vietnamese sandwich, Bánh Mì. The result is an umami-loaded, melt-in-your-mouth mushroom confit sandwich filling, that when paired with a citrusy aioli, and crisp garnishes, truly elevates the sandwich game to new heights.
This recipe is featured in the Everyday French Trend of the Flavour Forecast 23rd Edition. Explore more Flavour Forecast recipes here.Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 4 (1 Sandwich) SERVINGS
- Confit Mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot , peeled and smashed
- 4 medium cloves garlic , smashed
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 large sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Coriander Seed
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Peppercorns Black
- 4 pieces Cloves Whole
- 2 each Bay Leaves
- 4 pieces star anise , such as El Guapo®
- 1 1/2 pounds (750 grams) Portobello mushroom caps , sliced
- 3 1/3 cups (825 milliliters) vegetable oil , plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Sea Salt Grinder
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) red wine vinegar
- Citrus Aioli
- 1 medium lemon , zester
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) fresh lemon juice
- Bánh Mì
, split lengthwise
- crusty rolls
- 1 large carrot , cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup/250 ml)
- 2 Persian or mini cucumbers , cut into ribbons
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) mixed greens
- 1 medium red chili , stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, green part only , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 For the Mushroom Confit, place shallot, garlic, fresh herbs, coriander, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves and star anise in center of double layer of cheesecloth. Wrap to enclose, tying tightly with butcher twine. Set aside.
- 2 Heat large heavy-bottom saucepan on medium-high heat. Brush mushrooms lightly with oil. Sear mushrooms on each side just until lightly browned, about 30 seconds per side. Reduce heat to low; sprinkle evenly with salt.
- 3 Add oil and herb sachet to saucepan (oil should cover mushrooms). Heat on medium heat until temperature reaches about 180°F (80°C) on an instant read thermometer (this should take about 10 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Cook 25 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove mushrooms from oil. Reserve oil for another use. Set mushrooms aside, keeping warm until ready to serve.
- 4 Meanwhile, for the Citrus Aioli, whisk all ingredients in small bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To assemble Bánh Mì, split rolls lengthwise, being careful not to cut all the way through. Spread rolls evenly with Citrus Aioli. Layer baguette with carrot, cucumber and mixed greens. Spoon Confit Mushrooms onto rolls, draining any excess oil. Top with sliced chili, green onion and cilantro to serve.
Test Kitchen Tip:
Both the confit mushrooms and oil will keep for up to 2 weeks, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Nutrition information coming soon