Sweet soy, tamarind paste and chile sauce add sweet and spicy Asian flair to these vegetarian skewers. Serve as a vegetarian starter or as a hearty side. Photo credit: Joanne Bruno from Eats Well with Others.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tamarind concentrate (paste)
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chile garlic sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Ginger, Ground
- 2 cups (500 ml) cubed extra-firm tofu, (1-inch/2 1/2-cm)
- 8 Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 8 pieces pieces cubed butternut squash (1-inch/2 1/2-cm)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped green onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Sesame Seed
- 1 Place first 6 ingredients in blender; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth. Place tofu in large resealable plastic bag or baking dish. Add 1/4 cup (60ml) of the marinade; toss gently to coat well. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, microwave Brussels sprouts, squash and water in medium microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender. Drain well. Thread tofu, Brussels sprouts and squash onto 8 skewers.
- 3 Broil or grill over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned and tender, brushing occasionally with 1/4 cup (60ml) of the remaining marinade. Sprinkle skewers with green onion and sesame seed. Serve with remaining marinade for dipping.