Just like mom’s meatloaf, but vegetarian! Chopped walnuts and lentils give it a meat-like texture and Sriracha Lime seasoning brings a tangy heat.
1h 30 min
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- 1 1/4 cups (300 milliliters) brown lentils (uncooked) , rinsed
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) canola oil
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery , finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) Sriracha and Lime , divided
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoons (2 milliliters) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 teaspoons (2 milliliters) Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons (1 milliliters) Organic Crushed Red Pepper , divided
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) ground flax
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) toasted walnuts , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) large flake oats
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) oat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) ketchup , divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) brown sugar , divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) tahini
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- 2 green onions , finely sliced
- 1 Bring 4 cups (1 L) salted water to boil; stir in lentils. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 40 to 50 minutes or until lentils are very tender (they should be soft enough to mash). Drain immediately; let cool.
- 2 Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat; add onion, carrot, celery, red pepper, garlic, 1 tbsp (15 mL) sriracha lime seasoning, ginger, oregano, salt, pepper, and half of the crushed red pepper, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Add 3 tbsp (45 mL) water; cook until no liquid remains and vegetables are very tender. Let cool completely. Meanwhile, mix together ground flax with ½ cup (125 mL) water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Mix together lentils, vegetable mixture, flax mixture, bread crumbs, walnuts, oats, oat flour, 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup, cilantro, 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar, soy sauce, tahini, mustard and vinegar; press into greased and parchment–lined loaf pan. Stir together remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) ketchup, 1 tbsp (15 mL) sriracha lime seasoning and 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar; spread over top. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and set. Sprinkle with green onions. Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Test Kitchen Tip:
• Serve with additional ketchup glaze, if desired – simply double the ketchup, sriracha lime and brown sugar.
• Use parsley instead of cilantro if desired.