The addition of scallops turns a traditional grapefruit and avocado salad into an elegant entrée. The flavourful duo of thyme leaves and ginger gives this dish an unexpected, yet perfect pairing of flavours.
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- 2 large red grapefruits, , peeled and sectioned (1 1/2 cups/375ml)
- 1 medium ripe avocado, , peeled and thinly sliced
- white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil, , divided
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) Thyme Leaves , , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) plus 1/8 tsp (1/2 ml) Sea Salt Grinder , , divided
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 milliliter) Pepper Black Ground
- 1 pound (500 grams) large sea scallops (about 12)
- 1 package (142 grams) baby spinach leaves
- 1 Gently toss grapefruit segments and avocado slices in medium bowl. Set aside. Mix vinegar, 1 tablespoon (30 ml) of the olive oil, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) of the thyme, 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) of the salt and pepper in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- 2 Mix remaining 1 teaspoon (5 ml) thyme, ginger and remaining 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt in small bowl. Coat scallops evenly on both sides with spice mixture. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon (30 ml) oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until scallops are golden brown, turning once.
- 3 Divide spinach evenly among 4 serving plates. Top each with scallops and grapefruit mixture. Drizzle each salad with about 1 tablespoon (30 ml) of dressing. Serve immediately.