Asian XO sauce gets an Italian twist in this rich, umami-forward take on a classic Mediterranean dish. Stir-fried broccolini is drizzled in a sweet, salty Italian XO sauce and served with seared garlic pork atop warm polenta … the stuff dinner dreams are made of.
- 1 1/4 pounds (625 g) pork tenderloin cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Gourmet Garden™ Chunky Garlic Stir-In Paste
- 1 1/4 tsps (6 ml) sea salt from Sea Salt Grinder divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Pepper, Coarse Black
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsps (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 cups (1 l) broccolini trimmed and sliced diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Italian-Style XO Sauce
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) instant polenta
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded Parmesan cheese plus more to serve
- 2 tbsps (28 g) butter
- 1 Place pork in large bowl. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) of the sea salt, pepper and vinegar; toss to coat well. Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the oil in large skillet on high heat. Add pork; brown on all sides. Remove pork from skillet. Set aside.
- 2 Heat remaining 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil in same skillet until shimmering. Add broccolini; stir-fry until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in XO Sauce, tossing to coat broccolini. Return pork to pan; cook and stir until heated through.
- 3 Meanwhile, for the Polenta, bring stock, milk and remaining 1 teaspoon of the sea salt to boil in large saucepan. Whisking constantly, add polenta in thin stream. Reduce heat to low; stirring constantly, simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and butter. Serve pork and broccolini over Polenta with additional XO Sauce. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- 4 Test Kitchen Tip: XO sauce, the iconic condiment, was first created in Hong Kong. Meant to impress, it is known to be a luxury blend typically made with dried shrimp and scallops, Chinese dry-cured ham, garlic and various chiles. The ingredients, combined in a base of oil, create an intense sweet, salty, rich umami flavour.