Add a Japanese twist to the classic barbecue brisket sandwich by rubbing the meat with a 7 spice blend, also known as Shichimi Togarashi, before grilling. Serve with a fresh carrot and fennel slaw.
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliter) Japanese 7 Spice Blend (Shichimi Togarashi) (see recipe on Flavour.ca)
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 4 beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) Beef Cooking Stock
- 12 sandwich rolls
- 1/4 cup (50 milliliter) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 milliliter) orange juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) julienned carrots
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 can (398 milliliter) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliter) ketchup
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliter) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) Japanese 7 Spice Blend (Shichimi Togarashi)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliter) rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) soy sauce
- 1 Prepare grill for indirect medium heat (325°F/160°C). Preheat grill by turning all burners to high.
- 2 For the Brisket, mix Spice Blend and sea salt. Place brisket, fat side up, in 13x9-in (33x22 cm) disposable foil pan. Rub all over with seasoning mixture. Pour stock around brisket. Cover with foil.
- 3 Turn burner on 1 side to medium-high. Turn off burner(s) on other side. Place pan on unlit side of grill. Close grill. Grill 3 hours or until brisket is tender. Remove brisket from grill. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, for the Fennel Slaw, mix vinegar, orange juice, granulated sugar, oil and sea salt in large bowl until well blended. Add carrots, fennel and red onion; toss to coat well. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 5 For the BBQ Sauce, mix tomato sauce, ketchup, firmly packed brown sugar, Japanese 7 Spice Blend, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce in medium saucepan on high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes or until slightly thickened and sauce is reduced to about 2 cups (500 mL), stirring occasionally.
- 6 To serve, slice brisket. Serve in rolls with BBQ Sauce and Fennel Slaw.