The secret ingredient in this stovetop mac and cheese is the cauliflower that's puréed in the cheese sauce. It thickens the sauce without the butter-flour roux and adds fiber to the dish.
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- 1 pound (500 gram) whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (750 milliliter) 2% milk
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) flour
- 1 half large head cauliflower, cut into florets (3 ½ cups/875 mL)
Organic Garlic Powder
- garlic powder (club house)
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Ground Mustard
Organic Thyme Leaves
- Club House Thyme Leaves
Organic Ground Black Pepper
- pepper ground black (club house)
- 2 cups (500 milliliter) shredded reduced-fat white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 milliliter) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) light cream cheese, softened
- 1 Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package for al dente pasta. Drain well and return to saucepan. Keep warm.
- 2 Meanwhile, mix milk and flour in medium saucepan with wire whisk. Bring to simmer on medium-low heat, whisking constantly. Add cauliflower florets; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3 With centre part of cover removed to let steam escape, purée mixture in batches in blender on high speed until smooth. Return puréed mixture to saucepan. (Or purée mixture in saucepan with an immersion blender.) Stir in remaining ingredients; whisk until smooth.
- 4 Pour cheese mixture over hot cooked macaroni; mix well. Let stand 2 minutes before serving.
Go To Meal Planner