Make this slow-cooked oatmeal on a lazy morning, and reward yourself with its sweet apple pie flavour and nutty texture.
INGREDIENTS 6 SERVINGS
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) water
- 1 3/4 cup (425 milliliters) apple juice
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) steel-cut oats
- 1 medium apple , cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 milliliters) Apple Pie Spice , or more if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) skim milk
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) chopped pecans or almonds , toasted (optional)
- 1 In a large saucepan bring water and apple juice to a boil. Stir in oats, apple, apple pie spice and salt. Return mixture to a simmer; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until desired consistency and oats are tender. Stir in berries. Serve with milk and, if desired, pecans.