Brighten up your springtime celebrations with a batch of daisy cupcakes. They're as fun to make as they are to eat.
INGREDIENTS 18 SERVINGS
- 1 package 2-layer size white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) plus 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Pure Lemon Extract , divided
- 1 package (250 grams) cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) (60 ml) butter , softened
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) sour cream
- 1 pound (500 grams) icing sugar
- 10 drops Yellow Food Colour
- 18 large marshmallows
- Decorating sugar
- Jelly beans
- Green sprinkles
- 1 Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the lemon extract. Spoon into 18 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. Bake as directed for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- 2 For the Frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and remaining 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lemon extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until smooth. Stir in food colour until evenly tinted. Frost cooled cupcakes.
- 3 To decorate cupcakes, cut each marshmallow crosswise into 5 slices. Sprinkle 1 side of each marshmallow slice with decorating sugar. Arrange 5 marshmallow petals on top of each cupcake to resemble a daisy, pressing the marshmallows into the frosting. Place jelly beans in the center of the petals. Garnish with sprinkles.
- 4 For filled cupcakes: Spoon about 1 cup (250 ml) of the frosting into resealable plastic bag. Cut a small piece off one of the bottom corners of bag. Make an indentation in the center of each cupcake using the handle of a wooden spoon or a straw, making sure not to break through bottom of cupcake. Pipe about 1 teaspoon (5 ml) frosting into each cupcake. Spread top of cupcakes with remaining frosting. Decorate as directed.