Q1. Compared with previous years, which of the following best describes the amount of time you've spent outdoors this year?
- 33% Say Much More/Slightly More
- 37% Say the Same Amount (70% of Canadians are Spending the Same Amount or More Time Outdoors Than in Previous Years)
- 30% Say Slightly Less or Much Less
Q2. How often do you typically get outdoors during the fall season?
- 35% Daily
- 41% Several Times a Week
- 11% Said Twice a Week
- 6% Said Once a Week
- 6% Said Less Than Once a Week
Q3. How much more time will you spend outdoors during Thanksgiving weekend this year, if any?
- 54% Say No Additional Time
- 21% Say One-Two Hours
- 17% Say Half A Day
- 7% Say Full-Day
Q4. What types of outdoor activities have you participated in over the Thanksgiving weekend?
- 46% Say Family Hike/Walk (Biggest Activity of the Fall)
- 20% Say Going to a Farmer’s Market
- 15% Say Camping/Cottaging/Vacation
- 14% Say Harvest Picking
- 10% Say Picnicking
- 9% Say Sporting Events
- 3% Say Turkey Trot
- 9% Say Other Outdoor Activities: Bicycling, Golfing, Hunting, Yard Work
- 34% Say Not Applicable/Haven’t Participated in Outdoor Activities Over Thanksgiving Weekend
Q5. When you participate in outdoor activities, do you pack food to bring with you?
- 18% Say Yes, Always
- 61% Say Sometimes (79% Always/Sometimes Bring Packed Food When They Participate in Outdoor Activities)
- 21% Say Never
Q6. Which of the following are your go-to/must-have foods when planning for outdoor activities?
- 60% Says Small Meals (Ie. Sandwiches, Soups, Salads)
- 53% Say Granola Bars
- 46% Say Local/Seasonal Fruit
- 38% Say Chips
- 34% Say Trail Mix
- 13% Say Jerky
- 7% Say Smoothie
- 4% Say Larger Meals (i.e. On-The-Go Casserole)
- 5% Say Other: Beer, Chocolate Bars, Cheese and Fruit, Water
Q7. What influences your on-the-go food choices?
- 76% Say Ease of Eating
- 70% Says Portability
- 53% Say What You Have On-Hand
- 28% Says No Waste (i.e. No Wrappers or Leftover Containers)
- 19% Says Seasonality
- 3% Say Other: Nutrition, Taste / Flavour, Price, Protein
Q8. There's some thought that this is the golden age of outdoor eating. Would you consider hosting your Thanksgiving meal outside, weather permitting?
- 7% Say Yes, In Fact, I Plan to Host the Meal Outside
- 36% Say Yes, I Would Consider It
- 57% Say No, Hosting the Meal Outdoors Isn’t Something I Would Consider
Q9. Regardless of where or how you spend Fall weekends, when it comes to food, which of the following is MOST important to you?
- 8% Say Diversity of Food Options
- 16% Say Quality Ingredients
- 42% Say Flavour/Taste
- 23% Say Ease and Convenience
- 12% Say Nutrition/Sustenance
Q10. Which, if any, of these Thanksgiving flavours would you be interested in when eating on-the-go?
- 24% Say Bring My Turkey Leg To-Go
- 23% Say All Things Pumpkin Spice
- 18% Say Cranberry Sauce on Everything
- 15% Say Gravy as the New Hummus
- 4% Say Other: Apple, Cherry, Cinnamon, Stuffing, Potatoes, Pumpkin / Autumn Veg., Turkey
- 45% Says Not Applicable, I’m Not Interested in Thanksgiving Flavours For Eating On-The-Go
Q11. Would you consider incorporating any of the following trends into your Thanksgiving meal?
- 37% Say Using Local-Only Ingredients
- 29% Say Incorporating Regional Specialties (Ex. Apples in Quebec, Pumpkins in Ontario)
- 22% Say Making Dishes That Represent Your Cultural Heritage
- 7% Say Foraging
- 2% Say Other: Apples from Nova Scotia, Fresh Home Garden Ingredients, Vegan / Vegetarian Options, Seasonal Vegetables, Thanksgiving Meals from Other Countries
- 29% Say None of the Above