A custom blend of warm, sweet and earthy spices, Club House Apple Pie Spice is a mix of ground cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom and clove. Convenient to use and perfectly suited for much more than fruit pies (though it’s ideal for that, too), let’s explore some of the many different ways this spice mix will enhance your favourite dishes and fill your kitchen with enticing aromas. From appetizers to dessert and breakfast to dinner, here are dozens of uses for versatile Apple Pie Spice.
Oatmeal and Granola:
- Whether quick-cooking, steel-cut or old-fashioned rolled oats, stir a spoonful of Apple Pie Spice into your favourite style of oats while simmering. Toss in a handful of raisins or chopped apple, too, if desired.
- Replace cinnamon with ½ tsp (2 mL) Apple Pie Spice in Fruit Spiced Yogurt and top it with granola and chopped fresh fruit or berries.
- If making your own crunchy granola, stir some Apple Pie Spice into the mix before baking.
Pancakes, Waffles and French Toast:
- Add a sprinkle of Apple Pie Spice to egg mixture for French toast before dipping and frying bread.
- Stir a spoonful of Apple Pie Spice into pancake or waffle batter before cooking.
- Replace cinnamon with ½ tsp (2 mL) Apple Pie Spice in slow cooker Banana Chocolate Chip French Toast Casserole.
- Spiced Maple Syrup is fantastic drizzled on any of the above breakfast or brunch dishes. To make, add a small spoonful of Apple Pie Spice to maple syrup, stirring well to mix.
Spiced Nuts and Popcorn:
- Toss your favourite mixed nuts, including almonds, cashews and pecans, with a mix of melted butter, brown sugar and Apple Pie Spice, then bake until fragrant and golden.
- Make it Spiced Popcorn instead, replacing all, or up to half, of the nuts with popped popcorn.
- You can add a fruity element, too, by tossing everything with dried cranberries (or chocolate covered raisins!) once cool.
Coffee and Other Beverages:
- Perk up your morning latte or cappuccino with a sprinkle of Apple Pie Spice.
- Treat yourself with a rich and creamy mug of Maple Dolce Latte made with the addition of a dash of Apple Pie Spice to the recipe.
- For a decadent after dinner drink, add Apple Pie Spice to whipped cream, then spoon on mugs of coffee.
- In colder weather months, gather with friends and serve Hot Buttered Rum Cider made with 1 tsp (5 mL) Apple Pie Spice in place of cinnamon.
- During the holiday season, warm your home with the sweet scent of Slow Cooker Salted Caramel Apple Cocktail, using 1 tbsp (15 mL) Apple Pie Spice in place of cinnamon, allspice and cloves.
- Add a small spoonful of Apple Pie Spice to blended breakfast drinks, such as Banana Coconut Smoothie.
- Whisk white wine vinegar and olive oil with Apple Pie Spice and honey. Drizzle or toss on baby salad greens along with chopped cooked chicken, avocado, strawberries and almonds.
- Whisk plain Greek yogurt with Apple Pie Spice, lemon juice and honey. Toss with chopped apples, grapes, celery and walnuts.
- Combine equal parts maple syrup and lime juice then stir in Apple Pie Spice and poppy seeds. Toss with your favourite chopped fresh fruit, such as honeydew melon, cantaloupe, kiwi, orange segments and blueberries.
Meats and Rice:
- Apple Pie Spice adds authentic warm spice flavours to slow cooked Moroccan dishes and other North African-spiced chicken, lamb or beef stews. Use 4 tsp (20 mL) in place of the cinnamon and ginger in Cinnamon Beef Tagine.
- Simmer beef ribs with onions, carrots, broth, red wine, tomato paste, a touch of honey and Apple Pie Spice until meat is falling off the bone.
- As a side dish, make Rice Pilaf by simmering basmati rice, onion, broth, raisins and Apple Pie Spice. Top with toasted almonds.
- Stir a dash of Apple Pie Spice into sour cream and use to top baked sweet potatoes.
- Speaking of sweet potatoes, make mashed sweet potatoes with butter and Apple Pie Spice.
- Mix Apple Pie Spice with melted butter and brush all over wedges of butternut or acorn squash before roasting.
- Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder and a dash of Apple Pie Spice. Roast until cauliflower is tender and golden.
Cakes and Cookies:
- Coffee cake baked with Apple Pie Spice is an exceptional treat, as is Gourmet Spice Cake -- simply omit and replace the cinnamon, allspice, cinnamon and cloves with 2 ¼ tsp (11 mL) Apple Pie Spice.
- Spice up your holiday shortbread with a dash or two of Apple Pie Spice added to your favourite recipe. Or, bake a batch of Spiced Holiday Sugar Cookies with 1 ¼ tsp (6 mL) Apple Pie Spice subbed in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Raise the bar by baking Honey Apple Crumb Bars with 1 ¾ tsp (9 mL) Apple Pie Spice used in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pies and Tarts:
- Apple Pie Spice is a natural for your pies, naturally! For homemade apple pie recipes, count on using about 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) Apple Pie Spice for every 8 medium apples.
- In Caramel Amaretto Apple Pie, replace cinnamon and nutmeg with 1 ¼ tsp (6 mL) Apple Pie Spice.
- For a well-spiced spin on the usual pecan pie, individual sized Spiced Pecan Tarts are an irresistible treat. To make, replace cinnamon and allspice with ¾ tsp (4 mL) Apple Pie Spice.
- Use Apple Pie Spice in other desserts, too, such as Baked Apples, Poached Pears, Plum Cobbler and Peach Crisp. The rich and warm spice blend possibilities are virtually endless!