Sweet and savoury (yes, savoury!) ways to give every day oatmeal exciting flavour and flair.
Quick-cooking or instant, old-fashioned or steel-cut: No matter what your preference, oatmeal is a warm bowl of comfort that’s ready to enjoy in hardly anytime at all. Not only are whole grain oats a source of protein and minerals, they are also a complex carbohydrate so will help keep you feeling fuller for longer than most simple carbs.
Oatmeal unadorned is perfectly tasty as-is yet is also a base upon which to build more flavours and ingredients. Simply topping with honey and cinnamon is a quick and easy way to add a dash of excitement. Or take it a step further with a wide range of add-ins that can run the gamut the sweet and aromatic to spicy and crunchy.
Whether for breakfast, brunch, or any other time seeking a satisfying meal or snack, spruce up oatmeal with topping and add-in combinations you’ll adore. The possibilities really are limitless.
For Quick-cooking or Old-fashioned Oats:
Apple Pie Oatmeal: Add peeled and chopped apples and McCormick Gourmet Cinnamon Sugar to oats while cooking. Top bowls with chopped, toasted walnuts.
Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal: Prepare oatmeal with milk instead of water, adding cocoa powder, Billy Bee Honey and Club House Pure Vanilla Extract to oats while cooking. Top bowls with chocolate chips or Cake Mate Chocolate Sprinkles and sliced strawberries or bananas.
Peach Ginger Oatmeal: Add peeled and chopped peaches, brown sugar, Club House Ground Ginger and Club House Imitation Almond Extract to oats while cooking. Top bowls with sliced, toasted almonds.
Tex-Mex Oatmeal: Add drained and rinsed black beans, corn and Club House Signature Blends Tex Mex to oats while cooking. Top bowls with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, prepared tomato salsa and chopped avocado. Add a fried egg, if you’d like.
Cheddar, Ham and Broccoli Oatmeal: Add small broccoli florets, chopped cooked ham and Club House Signature Blends Savoury Mediterranean with Flax to oats while cooking. Stir in shredded Cheddar cheese just before serving. For added crunch, top with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
For Instant or Steel-Cut Oats:
Honey Coconut Oatmeal: Stir sweetened shredded coconut, Billy Bee Honey, McCormick Gourmet Cinnamon Seasoning with Chia and Club House Imitation Coconut Extract into prepared oatmeal. Top bowls with more shredded coconut and honey.
Banana Split Oatmeal: Stir plain yogurt, dried cherries and Club House Imitation Banana Extract into prepared oatmeal. Top bowls with sliced bananas, chocolate chips or Cake Mate Chocolate Sprinkles and chopped almonds or pistachios.
Maple Pecan Oatmeal: Stir Club House Imitation Maple Extract and chopped pecan pieces into prepared oatmeal. Sprinkle with McCormick Gourmet Cinnamon Sugar and more pecans.
Bacon ‘n’ Egg Oatmeal: Stir chopped cooked bacon, sliced green onions and Club House Signature Blends Roasted Garlic & Peppers into prepared oatmeal. Top bowls with scrambled or poached eggs and a dash of Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce.
Greek-style Savoury Oatmeal: Stir plain Greek yogurt and Club House Signature Blends Greek into prepared oatmeal. Top bowls with chopped tomato, cucumber and red onion along with pitted Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese.
Rise and Shine with Overnight Oats
Popular and portable, easy, effortless overnight oats bring delicious new meaning to “make-ahead breakfast”. Here’s how to make and take your own:
1) Start with a mason jar or another container with a lid – about 2 cups (500 mL) is a good size.
2) Add twice as much Liquid as oats. For one serving, that’s about 1 cup (250 mL) liquid to ½ cup (125 mL) rolled oats.
3) Stir in favourite Mix-ins. Seal with lid and refrigerate overnight (or at least a few hours).
4) In the morning, simply stir and enjoy! Or, add Toppers, if you’d like. Also, if a bit thick (chia seeds or raisins, if using, will soak up some of the liquid), add a spoonful or two of additional liquid.
• Milk and yogurt
• Almond milk and juice (try mango or cherry)
• Rice milk and applesauce
• Pourable kefir – plain or flavoured
• All milk – either dairy or dairy-free
• Ground cinnamon and honey
• Cocoa powder and peanut butter
• Ground ginger and maple syrup
• Frozen or fresh berries and ground cardamom
• Vanilla and chia seeds
• Sliced banana and slivered almonds
• Chopped peach, mango or pineapple
• Chopped hazelnuts and chopped dried apricots
• Chopped apple and raisins (if you like ‘em plump, stir in raisins the night before)