Spread holiday cheer with a batch of these classic gingerbread cookies with a crunch of toasted almonds. Photo credit: Susan Whetzel from Doughmesstic.
- 3 cups (750 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps (10 ml) Ginger Ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Cinnamon Ground
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Nutmeg Ground
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter softened
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/3 cup (325 ml) sliced almonds
- 1 Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Shape dough into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Roll in sliced almonds, pressing almonds into dough. Place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.