This Quebec style shepherd’s pie – Pâté Chinois – was a staple in so many households growing up. The tradition lives on with our version of this hearty pie, of course served with a generous squeeze of French’s® Tomato Ketchup to compl...
This Quebec style shepherd’s pie – Pâté Chinois – was a staple in so many households growing up. The tradition lives on with our version of this hearty pie, of course served with a generous squeeze of French’s® Tomato Ketchup to complete the meal.Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 6 SERVINGS
- 1 pound (450 gram) potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, divided
- 4 tablespoons (60 miligram) butter, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 miligram) 18% cream
- 1/2 cup (125 miligram) white Cheddar cheese curds
- 3/4 teaspoon (3 miligram) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 tablespoon (15 miligram) vegetable oil
- 1 pound (450 gram) lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 miligram) Thyme Leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 miligram) Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 miligram) Pepper Black Ground
- 1 can (398 miligram) cream-style corn
- French's® Tomato Ketchup , to serve
- 1 Place potatoes and 2 cloves of the garlic in medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Drain well. Add butter, cream, cheese and 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) of the salt. Mash with potato masher. Set aside.
- 2 Meanwhile, finely chop remaining garlic; set aside. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add ground beef; cook and stir 5 minutes until browned. Stir in onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes longer or until onions are softened. Stir in spices and remaining 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) salt; cook 4 minutes longer. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 3 Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Spoon beef mixture into 9-inch (23-cm) square baking dish, spreading evenly to cover bottom of dish. Spread corn evenly over beef. Top evenly with mashed potatoes, spreading into an even layer. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon (15ml) butter in microwave-safe bowl. Brush over top of mashed potatoes.
- 4 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly browned. Serve drizzled with Ketchup.