Yesterday’s ham = the star of today’s mac and cheese. Dig into this dish with a tangy hint of French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard and crunchy, Crispy Fried Onions on top. Did we mention lots and lots of ooey, gooey cheddar in every bite?
- 1 pound (500 g) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps (10 ml) Garlic Powder
- 5 1/2 cups (1.375 l) milk
- 4 cups (1 l) shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 3 tbsps (45 ml) French’s Classic Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked ham
- 2 cups (500 ml) French's® Fried Onion Crunchy Toppers
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cook macaroni in large saucepan as directed on package for al dente pasta. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
- 2 Melt butter in same saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour and garlic powder with a wire whisk until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, on medium-high heat until sauce starts to thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3 Stir in 3 cups (750 mL) of the cheese, Mustard and pepper. Cook until cheese is completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in macaroni, ham and 1 cup (250 mL) of the Crispy Fried Onions. Pour into greased 13x9-inch (33x23 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4 Bake 15 minutes. Top with remaining Crispy Fried Onions and bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.