These indulgent bars star popped amaranth, an ancient grain, paired with crunchy cashews, toasted oats and tart cranberries. Flaked coconut, cinnamon and vanilla balances the rich dark chocolate topping and sweet dulce de leche drizzle.
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup (250 ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Liquid Honey Squeeze
- 1 cup (250 ml) smooth almond butter
- 4 tsp (20 ml) Organic Cinnamon Saigon divided
- 3 tsp (15 ml) Pure Vanilla Extract divided
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) amaranth grain, divided
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried cranberries or dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) quick-cooking oats, toasted
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) dulce de leche sauce, warmed
- 1 Place 1 cup (250 mL) of the chocolate chips in resealable plastic bag or airtight container in the freezer until ready to use.
- 2 Mix maple syrup and honey in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Add almond butter, 3 tsp (15 mL) of the cinnamon and 2 tsp (10 mL) of the vanilla; mix well. Set aside.
- 3 Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the amaranth; cover and cook about 30 seconds or until most of the grains have popped. (The popped grains will look like slightly larger small white beads.) Immediately transfer to large bowl. Repeat with remaining amaranth. (Should have about 2 cups (500 mL) popped amaranth.)
- 4 Add coconut, cranberries, cashews, toasted oats and sea salt to popped amaranth in bowl; mix well. Add almond butter mixture; stir to coat all ingredients. Allow mixture to cool slightly. Stir in frozen chocolate chips. Gently press amaranth mixture into bottom of foil-lined 13x9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Place pan in refrigerator to chill.
- 5 Meanwhile, bring cream just to boil in small saucepan. Stir in remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) each cinnamon and vanilla. Pour over remaining 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate chips in medium heatproof bowl. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir until smooth.
- 6 Pour chocolate sauce evenly over chilled amaranth dessert. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until chocolate is set.
- 7 Use foil handles to remove chilled dessert from pan onto cutting board. Drizzle top of dessert with warm dulce de leche. Let stand until dulce de leche is set. Cut into bars.