Skip the deep fryer and try our lightened-up version of the curly-fry-meets-potato-chip in this recipe for tornado potatoes. Spiced with a robust blend of dill, chives, garlic and onion powder, these skewered and grilled taters are loaded with savoury flavour. Pair with gril... Skip the deep fryer and try our lightened-up version of the curly-fry-meets-potato-chip in this recipe for tornado potatoes. Spiced with a robust blend of dill, chives, garlic and onion powder, these skewered and grilled taters are loaded with savoury flavour. Pair with grilled burgers for a hearty meal. Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 4 SERVINGS
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) instant milk powder
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Chives Freeze Dried
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Dill Weed
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliter) Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Parsley Flakes
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliter) icing sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliter) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium red-skinned potatoes
- 1 In bowl, whisk together milk powder, cheese, chives, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, salt and sugar until combined. Pour olive oil in separate bowl; stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the seasoning mix.
- 2 Insert a bamboo skewer lengthwise through centre of each potato. With sharp paring knife, carefully cut each potato in a spiral pattern all the way down and around (but not through) skewer, beginning at the top of potato with the knife set at a 15 to 20-degree angle. Rotate potato while cutting until entire potato is made in a spiral pattern. Stretch the potato down the skewer. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- 3 Heat grill over medium heat. Set each skewered potato on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil; generously brush with some of the oil mixture, reserving one-third until later. Wrap each potato tightly in foil to seal. Place on grill; close lid and cook, turning once or twice, until tender, about 16 minutes (open foil carefully and use tip of paring knife to check). Transfer foil packs to baking sheet or metal tray and let cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes (leave grill on).
- 4 Remove and discard foil. Brush each skewered potato with remaining oil mixture; grill, turning once or twice, until golden brown all over, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to platter and sprinkle with some of the spice mixture.
- 5 Test Kitchen Tip: Soak bamboo skewers in water at least 30 minutes before using.
- 6 Test Kitchen Tip: Skip the spiral pattern and thread sliced potatoes onto skewers instead, leaving a bit of space between each slice.
- 7 Test Kitchen Tip: This recipe uses about 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the dry seasoning mix. Extras can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.