A sweet shortbread cookie gets an exciting flavour upgrade with the addition of warmly spiced Garam Masala.
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliter) cubed unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliter) Garam Masala , divided
- 1 tablespoon (5 milliliter) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (425 milliliter) pastry flour
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliter) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliter) icing sugar
- 1 In a food processor, pulse together butter, 1 tsp (5 mL) Garam Masala, vanilla and brown sugar until smooth. Add flour and cornstarch and pulse until dough comes together and is well blended.
- 2 Roll dough into a log that is 2-inches (5 cm) in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- 4 Once chilled, cut log of dough into 12 equal rounds. Transfer cookie rounds to an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until slightly golden.
- 5 Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 6 In a small bowl combine icing sugar and remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) Garam Masala.
- 7 Using a fine sieve, sprinkle cooled cookies with icing sugar mixture.