This savory twist on the classic soda bread features Irish Cheddar cheese, garlic powder and ground red pepper. It makes a delicious accompaniment to your St. Patrick's day dinner. Photo credit: Naomi Robinson from Bakers Royale.
INGREDIENTS 12 SERVINGS
- 2 1/2 cups (625 milliliters) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 milliliters) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Caraway Seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Ground Cayenne Pepper
shredded Irish Cheddar cheese
- shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (300 milliliters) buttermilk
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and seasonings in large bowl. Stir in cheese. Set aside. Mix eggs and buttermilk in medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients; stir until well blended. Spread in lightly grease 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pan.
- 2 Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.