Gather friends for a celebration of Central Mexico with this spiced cooking broth featuring Ancho Chili Pepper and Cumin. Guests can dip thinly sliced chicken and corn on the cob into hot broth to quickly cook. Then create bowls with additional broth, vegetables and garnishe... Gather friends for a celebration of Central Mexico with this spiced cooking broth featuring Ancho Chili Pepper and Cumin. Guests can dip thinly sliced chicken and corn on the cob into hot broth to quickly cook. Then create bowls with additional broth, vegetables and garnishes like queso fresco. Drizzle with a tangy Avocado Crema for a cool finish. Read More Read Less
INGREDIENTS 10 SERVINGS
- 3 tablespoon (45 milliliters) Chili Pepper Ancho
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliters) Cumin Ground
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliters) Oregano Leaves
- 2 teaspoon (10 milliliters) Paprika Smoked
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) finely chopped white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 cups (2 liter) Chicken Stock
- 1 can (796 milliliters) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon (30 milliliters) lime juice
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) rounds
- 1 pound (500 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into very thin strips
- 1 chayote, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Avocado Crema
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliters) Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliters) Garlic Powder
- Cotija cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- Avocado, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Crunchy tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- Flour or corn tortillas, for dunking
- 1 For the Broth, mix seasonings in small bowl. Set aside. Heat oil in 6-quart (5.7 L) stockpot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened. Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and 1/2 of the seasoning mixture. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, adding corn during last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove corn to a plate. Stir lime juice into broth.
- 2 Meanwhile, for the Avocado Crema, place all ingredients in food processor. Process on high speed until smooth. Transfer to bowl; cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3 Coat chicken strips with remaining seasoning mixture; place on plate. Place chayote on a separate plate. Place garnishes in bowls.
- 4 To serve, pour broth into 6-quart (5.7 L) electric hot pot or preheated slow cooker. Allow guests to cook chicken and chayote in broth as desired. (Chicken should be cooked about 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through and an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) is reached, stirring occasionally.)
- 5 Let each guest customize their own bowl. Ladle some broth with cooked chicken and vegetables into individual bowls. Top with garnishes and Avocado Crema as desired.
Go To Meal Planner